Photo credit V&A
Francis Hamel is a painter based in the UK and working between studios in Oxfordshire and Le Marche in central Italy.
He was born in 1963 and trained at The Ruskin School of Art whilst at Magdalen College, Oxford.
He is known for his landscape painting and portraiture. His practice involves painting and drawing from observation and also includes paintings of the circus and theatre, flowers, still life and monumental tree paintings.
During term time Hamel teaches a weekly life drawing class at the Ruskin in Oxford.
In 2008 he was commissioned to make a large collection of murals and paintings for permanent display at Fortnum and Mason in Piccadilly.
In 2019 Francis exhibited a collection of 28 portraits of leading figures in film and theatre at The Victoria and Albert Museum in London together with a collection of theatre paintings.
Coincident with the exhibition at the V&A was publication of a 215 page book “Francis Hamel. Paintings and Drawings”. This features a wide selection of the artist’s work with essays by Sir Richard Eyre, Professor Niall Ferguson, Colin Harrison, Joanna Kavennah, John Martin and Rosy Runciman.
‘A second book ‘ The Gardens at Rousham, paintings by Francis Hamel’ was published in 2021 to coincide with the ‘Rousham, Through the Gardens’ exhibition. The book includes all the paintings from the exhibition and essays by Francis Hamel, Joanna Kavenna, Tom Stuart-Smith and Christopher Woodward.
John Martin Gallery
2021 ‘Rousham Through the Gardens’ Albemarle Street and Rousham House.
2019 ‘Painting the Yellow Mountain’ Landscape paintings of mainland China and Hong Kong
- 2017 A Certain Tree
- 2015 Le Marche, Umbria and Tuscany.
- 2014 Rachel’s Flowers, John Martin Gallery Chelsea, London
- 2012 Oxford Paintings 2012, John Martin Gallery, London
- 2010 Italian Formal Gardens and Their Landscapes, John Martin Gallery, London
- 2009 Theatre Paintings, John Martin Gallery at Art London, Chelsea
- 2008 Three Years in the Italian Marches, John Martin Gallery, London
- 2007 Paintings, John Martin Gallery, London
- 2006 – 2004-2006, John Martin Gallery, London
- 2004 Paintings, John Martin Gallery, London
- 2003 Work 2002-2003, John Martin Gallery, London
- 2002. Art London, Business design centre, London
- 2002 Francis Hamel, John Martin Gallery, London
- 2000 Francis Hamel, John Martin Gallery, London
- 1997 Francis Hamel, John Martin Gallery, London
- 1995 Francis Hamel, John Martin Gallery, London
- The Victoria and Albert Museum, Prince Consort Gallery. (solo 2019)
- Royal Academy Summer Exhibitions (group 2005,2006 & 2007)
- Magdalen College , Oxford (solo 2012)
- Studio d’Arte Lanza, verbania, Italy (solo 2012)
- Edward Cutler Gallery, Milan, Italy (solo 2011)
- Arte Fiera Bologna. Italy(2011)
- The Charles Dickens Museum, London. (solo 2010)
- Art London, Chelsea. Theatre Paintings (solo 2009)
- The Said Business School, oxford. (solo 2004)
- Art 2002. Business Design Centre, London.
- John Martin Gallery, 38 Albemarle Street, London W1. (1995 to present)
- Ozten Zeki, South Kensington (solo 1993)
- Magdalen College, Oxford. (solo 1984)
- The Newman Rooms, Oxford. (solo 1883)
- The Ashmolean Museum
- Farrer and Co
- Fortnum and Mason
- Goldman Sachs
- HRH King Charles III.
- Lady Margaret Hall
- Oxford University Press
- Rolls Royce
- Sir Cameron Mackintosh
- St John’s College Oxford.
- Stephen Sondheim
- The Noel Coward Theatre
- Wyndham’s Theatre.
- The Prince of Wales Theatre.
- The Victoria Palace Theatre.
- The Sondheim Theatre